Monday, June 8, 2009

Ligers & Tigers & Bears

We get bored of going to the same places & doing the same things weekend after weekend & heard about a small family owned zoo near us so we decided to go check it out this past weekend. Anyone that knows me knows I love animals more than I do most people LOL so I was super excited to go.
They had many different animals & most of them we were able to feed. The owner/trainer, Mike, gave a tour to let the animals show off. I am absoutely terrified of snakes so Jeremy held a red boa constrictor, I wouldn't get anywhere near that thing! I thought I might go into labor just looking at it!
I never realized or even thought about it I guess but the peacock are the males & peahens are the females. Jeremy told me good way to remember that...use your own ideas haha
Some of the animals we couldn't feed were the monkeys, lions, tigers, cougars, bears, etc. On the tour the trainer wanted us to see the attitudes of the monkeys. One baboon, Chuckie, had quite the attitude too. Once given his can of diet coke & his Lay's potato chips Mike tried to take it from him & Chuckie freaked out. He doesn't like to be teased either.
According to Mike this monkey liked to have the whole bag of chips.
This lion is only 2 years old & very playful! They were all being fed chicken & would purr & roar to get it & even more so once they did get fed. Between all the lions, tigers, cougars, bears & other animals at the zoo Mike said they go through 420 lbs of chicken PER DAY! That's alot of chicken.
Because the tigers are so strong the only "toys" for them are bowling balls!I was most excited to see these animals! If you've seen Napeleon Dynamite you know what a liger is. If not, it's a cross between a male lion & a female tiger. They are HUGE animals but they are just as beautiful as a lion &/or a tiger. There are only 200 in existence & there are 2 at this zoo.

I loooved this tiger. He was large & had beautiful markings. And obviously he's rather large too. He was so gentle taking the chicken out of his hand it was amazing.

I can't wait for Jaydon to be old enough to share our love of animals & the zoo. I don't know if he'll get to appreciate this particular zoo but I know one day he will!












No comments:

Post a Comment