Monday, June 7, 2010

Maybe my thumb isn't so brown

When we learned were going to PCS back to Ft Campbell I was soo excited to have a yard so I could have a garden. I'm notorious for having a brown thumb-I can't even keep houseplants alive-so Jeremy was skeptical.
He thought I should start with an 8x8 garden first. I wanted bigger but again, the topic of the brown thumb came up so I couldn't argue. So he tilled & built it up a bit & then I planted the seeds. We were both pretty amazed when things actually started growing!!
I planted 2 rows of carrots=came up sporadically for some reason but the ones that did
are growing great now
1 row of beans=3 plants came up & 1 was destroyed by an animal ?? while the other 2
were destroyed during the storms we had. I replanted most of the row
while 2 of destroyed plants came back so we now have 1 strong row of
beans.
1 row of lettuce
1 row of 1/2 cucumbers & 1/2 green peppers= only 2 pepper plants came thru. The
round of cucumber plants were started
in the house & transplanted into the
garden the day before a hail storm, so
they were destroyed. I replanted
that 1/2 of the row & it's awesome how
it's growing.
2 rows of corn I also started some herbs & hot peppers in pots. Cilantro, rosemary & basil for now. Here's my basil
Saw my first 2 green beans tonight...not quite ready for picking yet.
My first baby cucmber!
I never realized how out of control & "viney" cucumber is. Next year I think I'll put it in a large pot ALONE & away from everything else. It was overtaking the lettuce & corn so I made a
trellis out of 4ft bamboo...hopefully it holds!! We're going to have cucumbers out our ears I think. I had heard carrots wouldn't grow well here but we though we'd give them a shot & lo & behold...they're growing!
I've learned alot already of what to do & what not to do with my garden next year. I definately think I need to space the rows out more but we're looking at this as our trial garden & a learning experience. We honestly didn't think anything would grow so we're very shocked it's doing so well...& with NO PESTICIDES OR FERTILIZING!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment