I went back & forth while I was pregnant about making Jaydon's baby food or buying commercial baby food. Commercial baby foods just don't look or smell right to me. I finally decided that making his food would be the healthiest & most ecnomical way for us to go. Lately, I've had a few people ask me for tips & suggestions about making baby food so I decided to put it all here in a series of blogs.
I have to say this website was my baby food bible: www.wholesomebabyfood.com
At age 4mths we were told that Jaydon was underweight & I needed to stop breastfeeding & switch to formula. I did NOT agree with that & decided to start cereal/food earlier than the 6mths of age I intended; so we started organic rice cereal right before he turned 5mths old. I mixed it with breastmilk & he didn't seem ready at first--still had tongue thrust--so we waited several days. The next time went over a little better & he gradually began to like it. We gave it to him in the evening & gradually increased it to mornings & evenings. I would also nurse him first then offer cereal. After about 3 weeks of cereal I gave him sweet potatoes. These were quickly discontinued due to him having a reaction. He started getting diaper rash, a rash around his mouth, screaming & crying & diarrhea.
To make the potatoes I peeled & washed them, then cut them into pieces & boiled them until soft. I then pureed them in the handy Magic Bullet blender my brother got me for my birthday several years ago. For first foods; obviously, puree them until they are a little thicker than water. Therefore, I added water as I pureed. I put the resulting puree in some small 2Tbsp sized containers & froze them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment