Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Harley Dog

On January 23 I had to make the most difficult decision I'd ever had to make-to put my sweet Harley down.
On January 21 I was upstairs when I heard a loud thud downstairs, like a dog had fallen or was chasing something. When I look I saw Harley was getting up so I didn't think anything about it but was worried about why he had fallen.
On the morning of the 22, we were getting ready for church, I heard scratching on the wood floor outside Jaydons room. When I went to check what was going on there was Harley on the floor unable to stand up even though he continuously tried. I got him laid down & Jaydon & I calmed him. He was able to walk again after a few minutes. I had NO CLUE what was going on until I talked to my friend who said I described seizures. I knew I had to get him to the vet Monday morning.

In the meantime he had 2 more seizures that night...one falling in the TV console & one falling into Jaxon's jumper which he lost control of his bladder. Monday morning he had another on the deck outside. All I could think about was him having one on the stairs or near one of the boys & hurting himself of one of them & me not being able to help him.
4 years ago he had a mast cell tumor removed. I knew it could metastasize & thankfully it took 4 years to do so. The vet was 90% sure it was a brain tumor & although we could treat the seizures with phenobarb I saw no point in prolonging his suffering & taking a chance of him becoming aggressive when we didn't know if it would work or not. I always said I would never let one of my dogs suffer if they became ill & would put them down. Actually making that decision broke my heart. I am grateful we have the option of euthanasia with our animals!
I will never find another dog quite like Harley. I rescued him from a puppy mill at 12wks old. He was my furbaby, my family member. He was amazing with the boys, he learned quickly, he minded, he loved all of us, he adapted well...he was THE absolute best dog & we will miss him so.

2 comments:

  1. It has been almost two years since we had to make the decision for my baby girl. I feel your pain...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still breaks my heart for you guys. My husky mix pup I got at the end of college is getting older and I just dread the day that I know will eventually come where we will have to make the hardest (even if the best for everyone) decision to let him no longer suffer. What a great memory to have pics of both boys with him and lots of good, fun times together. Much love.

    ReplyDelete